Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Appane Muruga

When I was a kid, I used to say 'ayyo' a lot. When something unexpected happened, if I dropped something, banged my knee or arm accidentally, even after sneezing, it was always followed by an 'ayyo' from me. My grandma, being the conservative orthodox lady she was, used to get very mad everytime I said 'ayyo'. She used to say 'vayila nalla varthaye varatha unakku?' (why don't you say something nice?). I was very fond of Lord Muruga (Karthikeya) at that time, so started substituting 'Muruga' for 'ayyo'. This habit has stayed with me and even now I say Muruga for every little thing.

Both Sonu and Nattu are interested in mythological stories. They get so excited and have so many questions while listening to such stories. They are always figuring out which name belongs to which god and relationship between gods.

After finishing all morning activities one Sunday morning, I sat down with a sigh and said 'Muruga'. Nattu sitting next to me asks: 'why did you say Muruga?'

I wanted to quiz on her knowledge about Gods, so I ask her: 'do you know who Muruga is?'

Nattu, thinking for sometime says: 'its the karam (spicy) thing you put in food'.

I LOL and tell her 'thats molagai (chillies). I said Muruga'.

Nattu (eyes brightening): 'Oh! Muruga. He is the one who says 'Narayana Narayana'.

I am ROFL at this point: 'thats Narada not Muruga.... Don't you know who Muruga is?'

Nattu, not happy to see me giggling like a lunatic, says: 'I am just a small girl. How would I know who Muruga is?'

No comments:

Post a Comment